The Warm Audio WA-47jr
is a large-diaphragm FET condenser microphone designed to provide the tonal characteristics of classic solid-state U47 microphones for vocalists, musicians, and recording engineers in home, project, and commercial recording studios. Thanks to three polar patterns—cardioid, omnidirectional, and figure-8—selectable from a switch on the front of the body, its versatility allows it to excel at anything from dry, close-up vocals to ambient room sounds. A -10 dB pad switch raises the maximum SPL from 147 dB to a high of 157 dB, enabling safe use when miking kick drums and cranked guitar and bass amps. Excessive low frequencies from proximity effect are easily reduced via the high-pass filter, which rolls off lows below 70 Hz.
The K47-style capsule reproduction features dual gold-sputtered, 6-micron Mylar diaphragms with a single backplate. The fully discrete signal path includes Toshiba FETs, WIMA film capacitors, and Panasonic electrolytic capacitors to deliver the clean tone associated with transformerless microphones. With a gold-plated XLR 3-pin connector and operability via 48V phantom power, it is compatible with most mixing consoles and mic preamps.
The WA-47jr ships with a storage pouch, hardmount, and a shockmount, which reduces rumble and decouples it from problematic vibrations.
The WA-47jr utilizes a custom reproduction of the vintage K47-style capsule that was used in the classic U47 microphone—designed with the same hole pattern and frequency response. Warm Audio's version of this capsule (model WA-47-B-80v) is carefully manufactured by an Australian capsule manufacturer whose precision and consistency allows sonic replication of the most important piece of this classic style of microphone.
The WA-47jr's discrete signal path pairs with the true U47-style capsule to obtain a very similar tone to the classic U47 microphone. The low self-noise of only 9 dBA enables pristine capture of quiet sound sources.
The WA-47jr incorporates a modernized and simplified circuit design. Toshiba FETs, WIMA film capacitors, and Panasonic electrolytic capacitors contribute to the signature tone of the mic.
Three polar patterns and a -10 dB pad enable versatility for close and distant positions and loud and quiet sources. The 70 Hz high-pass filter aids in reducing rumble, proximity effect, and excessive low frequencies.
- FET Transformerless 47 Style Condenser Microphone.
- Custom True 47 Capsule Reproduction (K47 Style)
- Model# WA-47-B-80v.
- Capsule Makeup: Gold Sputtered, Dual Large Diaphragm, Single Backplate, 6 Microns NOS Mylar (PET Film).
- Polar Patterns: Cardioid, Figure-Of-Eight, And Omnidirectional.
- Pad: -10db
- High-Pass Filter: 70Hz
- Self-Noise: 9dBA
- Dynamic Range: 138dBA
- Fully Discrete Signal Path, Toshiba FET’s, Wima Film Capacitors, Panasonic Electrolytic Capacitors
- Maximum SPL: 147/157dB (@1kHz 1kOhms 0.5% THD, 0/-10dB)
- Frequency Range: 20 Hz~20 KHz
- Sensitivity: 10mV/Pa Or -40dB
- Output Impedance: 100 Ohms
- Rated Load Impedance: ≥1kOhms
- Equivalent Noise: 10dBA (IEC651)
- External IEC Grounded PSU
- Total Weight: 1.1 Lbs
- Mic Diameter: 52mm
- Mic Length: 210mm
- Includes: Shockmount, Hard Mount, Zipper Storage Pouch