All of the input and output options you need
One of the things that make the Zoom H6 Handy Recorder such a field-recording workhorse is its extensive I/O, which puts its functionality comfortably on par with the high-end dedicated recorders used by film and television professionals. On the body of the H6 alone, you'll find four combo jacks, each with its own volume dial and switchable -20dB pad. These inputs let you connect anything from phantom-powered condenser microphones to extremely hot line-level sources. Cooler still is the H6's modular expansion port, which lets you connect microphones such as the included XY or Mid-side capsules. Read all about them in our Zoom Capsule Buying Guide. As for monitoring, you get both a line and a headphone out on the H6, plus a built-in speaker for mono playback.
ZoomH6 I/O at a Glance:
- Four onboard combo jacks provide microphone- and line-level input on XLR or 1/4" connections
- Independent volume controls and switchable -20dB pads provide hands-on control over your levels
- Up to two additional inputs available via swappable capsules.
- Headphone and line-level outputs provide stereo sound for monitoring and playback
- Review your recordings without external gear via the onboard monophonic speaker.
With Pre-record, Backup-record, and Auto-record functions
There's something inherently unpredictable about field recording, which makes it unnervingly easy to miss critical takes. Zoom equipped their H6 Handy Recorder with three powerful recording modes to spare you the stress of a lost or ruined recording opportunity: Pre-record, Backup-record, and Auto-record. With Pre-record, the H6 is continuously buffering the last two seconds of audio, which it includes with every recording. So, even if you hit record late, you're still likely to capture the sound you thought you missed. Along a similar line of thinking is the H6's Backup-record function, which records a separate stereo mix at 12dB down from your current settings. That way, if a sudden audio spike causes your input to clip, you still have a clean backup to work with. Finally, there's Auto-record, which starts recording when the volume passes a certain threshold.
Zoom H6 Recording Options at a Glance:
- Pre-record function provides a buffer that keeps you from missing once-in-a-lifetime recordings
- Continuous 2-second buffer lets you capture precious moments before you hit record
- Backup-record prevents unexpected audio spikes from clipping your inputs and trashing your takes
- Simultaneously records a second -12dB stereo track to provide a backup in case your original track distorts
- Auto-record function starts recording as soon as the input crosses a certain volume threshold
Zoom H6 Handy Recorder Features:
- A versatile 6-in/2-out mobile recording system
- 4 XLR/TRS combination inputs with microphone preamps and phantom power (+12/+24/+48V) accommodate most analog connections
- Modular input connection lets you attach onboard microphones and additional input jacks
- Gain knobs for each input make setting levels fast and easy
- Shockmounted XYH-6 XY stereo microphone module included
- Captures audio at up to 24-bit/96kHz professional-grade resolution
- Doubles as a handy USB recording interface with your Mac, Windows PC, or iPad (via Apple Camera Connection Kit)
- Large LCD display makes navigation and setup extremely easy
- Built-in processing includes highpass filtering, compression, limiting, and M-S stereo width decoding
- Loop playback, variable playback speed (from 50% to 150%), and variable pitch per track make this an excellent practice tool
- Chromatic tuner and metronome built in for added convenience
- Records onto SD and SDHC storage media with up to 128GB capacity
- Record for up to 20 hours on just 4 AA batteries
- Includes operation manual, 4 AA batteries, USB cable, foam windscreen, Cubase LE software, and carrying case
- Optional shotgun mic, input expansion module, and hot shoe mount accessory also available